N95 masks are required for some jobs — get yours fit-tested
As COVID-19 cases continue to multiply, staff members working in special precautions or COVID hot zones must wear properly fitted respirator masks before entering the designated area.
N95 fit-testing is required to ensure you are protected while caring for patients and interacting with teams. If your respirator doesn’t fit, it can’t effectively protect you.
Asante is offering fit-testing at the ARRMC’s cafeteria at the following times:
- Tuesday, Aug. 17: 7:30 to 11:30 a.m. and 2 to 6 p.m.
- Friday, Aug. 20: 17: 7:30 to 11:30 a.m. and 2 to 6 p.m.
Additional dates, times and locations will be posted on this site and published in the weekly COVID-19 Update over the next several days.
Before you’re tested, heed the following:
- Staff with facial hair must shave if respirator use is required for job role.
- Staff may not eat or drink anything 15 minutes before fit testing.
- A fit test is required before a respirator can be worn, yearly, for any new type of respirator, and after any physical changes that may affect the fit of the respirator (e.g. weight changes, dental work).
- Those getting their first fit-test must complete an OSHA medical questionnaire ahead of time.
- Staff who fail N95 fit testing are priority use for a CAPR. Please notify your leader.
Frequently asked questions
If a respirator is required and I am not fit tested, can I go in the patient’s area? No.
If I fail the fit test(s) for different respirators, what are my options? A CAPR.
If I can’t be fit tested and there are no CAPRS can I care for patients in respiratory precautions? No.
If I have concerns who do I talk to? Your leader or Employee Health.
Thank you for helping to make Asante a safe place for our patients — and each other.
If you need answers for a personal work matter, please contact the author or department directly instead of leaving a comment.