Lose that quarantine weight with BodyFIT
The stressors of 2020 have been challenging. During the pandemic, fires, political and civil unrest, and even murder hornets, informal polls show that unhealthy behaviors are trending up. High emotions can lead to imbalance and imbalance can lead to unhealthy coping mechanisms, including overeating and weight gain. If you feel that this year has knocked you off course in your wellness journey, then take solace knowing support is available for you.
Asante is offering free courses as part of its BodyFIT program to help employees gain healthy habits, lose weight and reduce their risk of developing a chronic condition. The classes — one for medical weight management and another for risk-prevention — offer guidance on nutrition, physical activity, stress management, sleep management and behavior change. Both courses are based on behavioral and weight science and use fully integrated therapies (FIT) to:
- Improve your metabolic health (blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol and lipid profile, etc.), possibly reducing your need for medications
- Help you develop a non-dieting approach to healthy eating and nutrition
- Promote self-empowerment and self-responsibility
- Provide you with the tools for long-term lifestyle changes
- Achieve and maintain weight loss
- Develop peer-to-peer support to help manage setbacks and get back on track quickly
Who is eligible to attend classes?
The BodyFIT programs are open to any eligible Asante employee, spouse and dependents 18 or older covered by an Asante health plan. The courses are not intended for anyone who has had bariatric surgery, is pregnant or is trying to get pregnant.
What’s the difference between the classes?
BodyFIT Risk Prevention program focuses on the “why” of weight loss. It is:
- For people with a BMI of 25 to 29.9
- One year long with optional long-term follow-up
- Led by certified health coaches
- Based on the CDC Diabetes Prevention curriculum
Classes begin on Oct. 15. The evening course takes place from 6 to 7 p.m. on Thursdays. Once classes can physically resume, this class will be a Medford-based class. The morning class runs from 7 to 8 a.m. on Thursdays. Once classes can physically resume, this class will be in Grants Pass. For more details, email Asante Health Promotion.
BodyFIT Medical Weight Management program focuses on the “how” of weight loss. It is:
- For people with a BMI of 30 or higher
- Six months long with optional long-term follow-up
- Led by a registered dietitian nutritionist
- Offered with additional medical benefits such as screenings for obstructive sleep apnea, well-being, weight-gain-related medications, and physical activity readiness; PCP notified of participation and progress
Classes take place from 6 to 7 p.m. on Tuesday beginning Nov. 3. Once classes can physically resume, this will be a Medford-based class. Email for more details at Bo********@as****.org.
Until social gathering mandates are lifted, all classes are via WebEx. Those interested may invite others to join them on the journey. Scientific studies have shown that partnerships lead to better success with lifestyle change. Co-workers, friends and family can really help make or break your daily goals. Please consider who in your departments or clinics might want to partner with you.
If you need answers for a personal work matter, please contact the author or department directly instead of leaving a comment.