Asante helps create a centralized vaccination clinic
The community’s request for consistent access to COVID-19 vaccine is being met with the start of a collaborative vaccination clinic in Jackson County. Three community health organizations are partnering to provide COVID-19 vaccinations on a regular basis.
Jackson County Public Health, Asante and Providence have established a vaccination clinic to serve all people in the community as they become eligible per guidelines established by the Oregon Health Authority.
“Creating this clinic means the people in our community no longer need to worry about how or where they can get vaccinated,” said Dr. Jim Shames, medical director for Jackson County Public Health. “Once they’re eligible, it will simply be a matter of scheduling an appointment.”
The joint COVID-19 vaccination clinic has been in the works since early February with a goal to optimize the limited supply of the vaccine. “Pulling together the clinic’s operational and logistical components such as location, a centralized phone number and enough staff to answer phone calls takes time,” said Doug Ward, vice president of Operations at Asante Physician Partners. “We want to ensure the person’s experience with the process is positive and that their access to care is streamlined.”
Every week, all three health care organizations field several hundred phone calls and emails from people wanting information on how, where and when they can get vaccinated. “It’s incredibly inspiring that so many people want to help stop the spread of this disease through vaccination,” said Amy Bronson, director of clinical operations for Providence Medical Group. “Partnering on this vaccination clinic reflects how we can collaborate for the benefit of all people in our community — to help meet the urgent demand for vaccinations and get more people vaccinated quickly.”
Vaccine will also be available in a few other locations across the county, including some pharmacies and independent medical clinics. “In addition to the community vaccination clinic, we’ll continue to support smaller points of distribution to help address access and equity barriers for our residents,” said Dr. Shames.
The clinic is using the site of the current Asante vaccination clinic located in Medford; however, the community vaccination clinic is open to all people who are eligible for vaccination — not just for Asante or Providence patients.
This is not a walk-in vaccination clinic and an appointment is required by calling (541) 789-2813, Option 2 (Opcion 3 en Español). The address of the clinic is provided at the time the appointment is made.
Availability of appointments will depend on the state’s allotment of vaccine to Jackson County, so some weeks may have more openings than others for scheduling vaccinations. Additionally, appointments will be made based on a person’s eligibility as determined by the Oregon Health Authority.
There is no out-of-pocket cost to people getting vaccinated. Insurance will be billed; however, a co-pay will not be collected. People without insurance also will not be charged.
- The clinic will operate on weekdays and expects to vaccinate up to 1,000 people a day.
- It will be staffed by Asante and Providence clinicians and nonclinical volunteers.
- Appointments can be scheduled through MyChart or by calling (541) 789-2813, Option 2. No walk-ins allowed.
- Call center staffing has expanded, but callers are advised to be patient due to persistent high volumes.
- Only one type of vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna) will be administered on a given day. Patients who have a strong preference should ask to be scheduled on the day their preferred vaccine is given.
- Jackson County expects to receive a large number of new vaccine supplies, including the single-dose Johnson & Johnson. Distribution of that vaccine has yet to be determined.
- Eligibility for the vaccine follows state guidelines and vaccine supplies. The clinic is now open to all adults 65 and older.
If you need answers for a personal work matter, please contact the author or department directly instead of leaving a comment.